The title of this post probably caught your attention. But don't worry, we are not going anywhere. Haha! We chose this title because we want to share with you some tips on how to take care of your jewellery. Whether it is costume, sterling silver or gold, giving them special attention will definitely help keep the luster and extend the beauty. Furthermore, you wouldn't want to pass tarnished goodies to your grandchildren, would you?
You may wonder what to do with crystals and gemstones as well. We will cover that in another post, so remember to check back.
Ready? Get set? Let's learn!
Tips for taking care of your jewellery
Costume, sterling silver, and gold jewellery are must-have accessories in everyone's closet. Most of us match them with our glamourous outfits and/or to accessorize the most casual tees. However, some of you may claim that your jewellery do not last as the colour often changes. Boys and girls, let us tell you that it doesn't take a lot of effort to keep them looking new! Here are some tips to help you.
The NO-NO List:
- DO NOT spray perfumes, body sprays, hairsprays or apply your body butters, hand cream or make up BEFORE you put on your jewellery. These will dull or discolour the jewellery.
- When you do a lot of washing or housework (HIGH FIVE), please remember to take them off before you start scrubbing.
- Always store your jewellery in separate compartments of a container when you have more than one piece. You can find great ones at the dollar store. Head over to the hardware aisle and look for the clear plastic containers with dividers for nuts and bolts storage. They are durable and usually have a snap-close cover which is good to prevent oxidization of your precious metals (tarnished pieces are sooo uncool). Another advantage is the clear cover will let you to see all your jewellery in one glance. You don't have to fumble and rumble to figure out which piece will go with that LBD (saves you some time to spray that sexy perfume...).
- DO NOT, we repeat, DO NOT store jewellery of different metals together as they tend to oxidize at a much quicker rate or worse, scratch one another.
- It is always good practice to clean jewellery with a piece of cleaning cloth before you store them away. We know some of you are rolling your eyes by now. But hey, making this extra teeny-tiny effort each time will ensure your metals maintain their luster and shine.
- Refer back to point #3 - If you do not have a dollar store close to your vicinity or lack storage space at home (can we say hoarding?? LOL), you may consider storing your jewellery in mini zip lock bags or organza bags. This will ensure that oxidization and tangling will be kept to minimal.
Have a great weekend!
CC & CQ